Apr 28 2016
Every company incorporated in Singapore must appoint a secretary within 6 months of the date of its incorporation and the position must not be left vacant for more than 6 months. The company secretary must be residing locally in Singapore and he/she must not be the sole director of the company.
A Private Company is not required to appoint secretary who is professionally qualified. However, it is the responsibility of the director to appoint someone with the necessary knowledge and experience to perform the functions required of a Company Secretary.
The key roles of the Company Secretary are as follows:
• Maintain the company statutory registers and records
• Lodge and file in time all necessary documents required by law
• Ensure that the company meets all its legal obligations
• Stay updated on relevant developments and changes in statutory and regulatory obligations
• Communicate adequately with shareholder
More information on the appointment of a company secretary may be obtained via www.acra.gov.sg